M4 Carbine, 5.56mm, NSN 1005-01-231-0973, LIN R97234 (In Common Usage)
M4A1 Carbine, 5.56mm, NSN 1005-01-382-0953 (Full-Automatic version, more rarely used)
The M4/M4A1 5.56mm Carbine is a lightweight, gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed, selective rate, shoulder fired weapon with a collapsible stock. Equipped with a shorter barrel, collapsible stock and detachable carrying handle (with a built-in accessory rail) it provides soldiers operating in close quarters with improved handling and the capability to rapidly and accurately engage targets at extended range, day or night. A shortened variant of the M16A2 rifle, the M4 provides the individual soldier operating in close quarters the capability to engage targets at extended range with accurate, lethal fire. The M4-series Carbine achieves over 80% commonality with the M16A2 Rifle and replaces all M3 .45 caliber submachine guns, and selected M9 pistols and M16 rifles.
The COEI / BII Listings and Component Hand Receipts on ArmyProperty.com are valid for these two rifles.
Video: TOP 10 Combat Rifles of All Time - M16 family (No.2)
|Major End Items|
|1010-00-179-6447||M203, 40mm Grenade Launcher|
|5855-01-398-4315||PAQ-4 infrared laser designator|
|5855-01-447-8992||PEQ-2 infrared spotlight / laser designator|
|1240-01-492-5264||EOTech 1x Holographic-Diffraction Optical Reflex Sight|
|5855-01-432-0524||PVS-14, Monocular NVG|
|5860-01-471-2091||Laser Borelight System (LBS); used for field-zeroing mechanical and optical sights|
|RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative) Accessories (Major End Items). Fielded routinely to units through Force Modernization program, or through RFI bulk-issue during prep for deployment.|
|1005-01-452-3527||M4 Rail Adapter System (allows installation of accessories, such as a PEQ-2 or Surefire Tac-Light on front handguard)|
|1240-01-534-1114 and others||ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight) and other magnified and unmagnified optical sights, manufactured by Trijicon.|
|1240-01-411-1265||M68 CCO (Close Combat Optic) 1x "Red Dot" Optical Reflex Sight, manufactured by Aimpoint|
|RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative) Accessories (Non Major End Items). Fielded routinely to units through Force Modernization program, or through RFI bulk-issue during prep for deployment.|
|1005-01-541-1772||Rifle Bipod; Also called Forward Grip Bipod. Not typically installed on M4 due to space constraints, but it is probably physically possible|
|1005-01-449-6306; 1005-01-484-8000||Backup Iron Sight. Installed in conjunction with ACOG or other optical sights; provides redundant means for aiming if optical sights fail or become detached from the weapon.|
|1005-01-541-1771||Tactical Sling; Also called 3-Point Sling (Click Here for more sling NSN's)|
|(TBP; LIN ZA905D)||Enhanced sliding M4/M4A1 buttstock assembly|
|Other Accessories, Non Major End Items|
|Various||SureFire Tactical Flashlight|
|4020-01-493-8337||Tactical Sling (not the RFI version), made by Blackhawk! and distributed through the Army supply system. Carries weapon across chest, muzzle oriented downward, "at the ready"; (Click Here for more sling NSN's)|
|1005-01-520-5992 / 1005-99-126-9781||Heckler & Koch (HK) High-Reliability Steel Magazine|
|1005-01-541-2477||Multiple magazine holder; New AAL Item, may be included in RFI in the future|
|1005-01-541-2476||Forward rail bracket (also called CQB kit mini-rail); New AAL Item, may be included in RFI in the future|
|1005-00-921-5004||Standard 30-round magazine|
|1005-01-361-8208||M23 Blank Firing Adapter / Attachment (yellow in color, for M4 rifle only; red BFA, M15A2, NSN 1005-00-118-6192, is for the M16 rifle only)|
|5340-00-880-7666||Cap, Protective, Dust. Keeps dust and dirt from entering the muzzle during normal operations, and can be left in place until the weapon is fired, but must be removed periodically to prevent rust build-up.|
Related End Items ("Also See...")
|1005-00-073-9421||M16A1, Rifle, 5.56mm (Phased out in 1980s and 1990s; in service for two decades; fully automatic)|
|1005-01-128-9936||M16A2, Rifle, 5.56mm (Most widely-used M16 variant, uses 3-round burst mode)|
|1005-01-367-5112||M16A3, Rifle, 5.56mm (Rare, full-automatic version of M16A2)|
|1005-01-383-2872||M16A4, Rifle, 5.56mm (Similar to M16A2, with 3-round burst mode, but with detachable carrying handle and modular rail system)|
|1005-00-903-0751||M134 Minigun ("Gatling Gun"), 7.62mm|
|1005-00-589-1271||M14, Rifle, 7.62mm|
|TBP||Rifle, 5.56mm, HK416|
|1005-01-469-2133||Rifle, .50 Caliber, Sniper: XM107 (Barrett Family)|
|1005-01-534-2841||XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (SASS)|
|1005-01-240-2136||M24, Sniper Rifle, 7.62mm|
|1005-01-081-4582||M231, Submachine Gun, 5.56mm (Firing Port Weapon for Bradley)|
|1005-01-127-7510||M249, Machine Gun, 5.56mm, Belt and Magazine-Fed (Squad Automatic Weapon)|
|1005-01-118-2640||M9, Pistol, 9mm, Automatic, Beretta (Model 92F)|
|1005-00-017-9701||M7, Bayonet, Multi-Purpose (Older Model)|
|1005-01-227-1739||M9, Bayonet, Multi-Purpose (New Model, with saw blade and integral wire cutter)|
Problems with this page? Contact the ArmyProperty Team
Copyright © 2005-2013 ArmyProperty.com / Inventory
Management Solutions, LLC.
A Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned (SDVO) Business
101 North Main Street, Suite 130; Ann Arbor, MI 48104
2011 Crystal Drive, Suite 400; Arlington, VA 22202
DUNS Number: 829504880 / CAGE Code: 5BMR7
New in the Forums
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ???? ?????? ????????? aj
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? ? ??? ?????? ???????? ????? ct
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? ?????? ????? ???? 2014 eh
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? ????????? ???????????? ???? xg
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? nadin ????? ?????? no
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? ?????? ????? ????? uv
NSN's That Work
- NSN's for OCP items (IOTV's, uniforms, MOLLE) will apparently remain as-is, whil...
- Word to the wise... the "correct" 200-series lock to use in your armsroom. They...
- Do your IFAK's have combat eye shields? If not, you can order them with two dif...
- Gatorade NSN's are here...
- This just in -- as of MAR 2013, the JETT harness has been assigned an NSN and sh...
- FYI: NSN for MOLLE 2-Mag M-16 pouch in ACU / UCP Pattern
- FYI on cancelled / rejected requisitions and orders.
- Yup, there's an NSN for an Apple iPod Touch.... in case you don't get one for Ch...
- U.S. Army Improved First Aid Kit (IFAK), NSN 6545-01-584-1582, MultiCam (OCP)
- Gerber Cable Dawg Multi-Tool - ACU Pattern Sheath, NSN 5110-01-598-2253 (30-000361)
- Magazine, Cartridge, 5.56mm, 30-round, NSN 1005-00-921-5004, for M-16 / M-4 Series Rifle
- Magazine, Cartridge, 9mm, 15-round, for Beretta M9 (92-Series), NSN 1005-01-204-4376