Rifle, 5.56mm, HK 416 (Produced by Heckler & Koch)
The HK416 is an outgrowth of the discontinued XM8 program. The XM8 rifle was a completely new design which was tested, but not adopted by the Army. Recently some special-operations units have begun equipping themselves with the HK 416 assault rifle, which is similar in its lower-receiver design to an M4, but has a completely redesigned upper receiver. The HK416's major innovation is its piston-operated action, which replaces the gas-operated system in the M4 and M16 series, and prevents the introduction of high-temperature gas and carbon into the bolt carrier group. This makes the weapon much easier to clean, and much less error-prone. There is also a 7.62mm version called the HK 417.
HK416 Video Overview
The following information was taken from the H&K product datasheet for the 416:
"Inspired by the resounding success of the mid-life improvement program of the British SA80 (L85/L86) Weapons System, Heckler & Koch began a development program to create the HK416 Enhanced Carbine. Working with current users from around the globe, HK set out to produce an Enhanced Carbine that would outperform competing 5.56mm carbines and provide the high degree of performance required by the user com-munity, particularly those within the special operations arena who demand more and expect no compromise when lives are at stake. High-speed video assessment and extensive live-fire testing in extreme operational environments such as the U.S. Army Desert Proving Ground in Yuma, Arizona revealed multiple areas for improvement of the 5.56 mm carbine. Improvements were made to the internal operating system and miscellaneous component parts to improve reliability in best and worse case scenarios, with all types of ammunition, with all barrel lengths and with and without sound suppressors attached.
"An innovative free-floating 4-quadrant rail system designed by HK allows all current standard accessories and sights to be fitted to the HK416 and can be removed without tools. The HK-proprietary gas system does not introduce propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling back into the weapons interior. This reduces operator cleaning time, increases the reliability of the weapon and extends the interval between stoppages."
HK416 Video Demonstration
"To improve reliability, service life, and operator safety during obstructed bore occurrences or after extreme extended firing sessions, HK has produced its famous cold hammer forged barrel for the HK416 in various lengths to include 10, 14.5, 16.5, and 20 inches. The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy for greater than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity. In addition to the improvements in the baseline weapon, HK has produced a high reliability magazine and a proprietary buffer to improve functional reliability. An add-on single shot 40 x 46mm AG416 enhanced grenade launcher module can be quickly attached to the rail system of all models without tools. Heckler & Koch has applied its proven and fielded Safety Blank Firing Attachment and Live Round Excluder Magazine technology to the HK416 Carbine, eliminating the possibility of live rounds being loaded into and fired through a standard issue weapon outfitted for blank firing only.
"A 'drop-in' HK416 upper receiver module and a complete carbine have both been offered since February 2005. The full potential of the 5.56mm carbine has now been realized with the introduction of the HK416."
Related End Items ("... Also See...")
|1005-01-231-0973||M4, Rifle, 5.56mm|
|1005-01-128-9936||M16A2, Rifle, 5.56mm (Most widely-used M16 variant)|
|1005-01-383-2872||M16A4, Rifle, 5.56mm (Similar to M16A2, but with detachable carrying handle and modular rail system)|
|1005-00-903-0751||M134 Minigun ("Gatling Gun"), 7.62mm|
|1005-00-589-1271||M14-Series, Rifle, 7.62mm|
|1005-01-534-2841||XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (SASS)|
|1005-01-469-2133||Rifle, .50 Caliber, Sniper: XM107 (Barrett Family)|
XM8 Video Demonstration
Additional HK416 Specs (from H&K Product Info Page)
Caliber 5.56x45mm NATO (.223 Remington)
Operation Principle Gas operated, firing from a closed bolt.
Bolt Principle Refined rotating bolt head with multiple locking lugs
Modes of Fire Semi-automatic, full automatic
Feed Device HK high-reliability 20 or 30-round steel box magazine
Cyclic Rate of Fire 700-900 rounds per minute
D10RS model 7.3 lb
D145RS model 7.7 lb
U10" upper 5.0 lb
U145" upper 5.5 lb
D10RS model 10.5"
D145RS model 14.5"
D10RS (retracted) 27.0"
D10RS (extended) 30.9"
D145RS (retracted) 31.0"
D145RS (extended) 34.9"
Height (w/o sights) 7.25"
Trigger Pull 4.5 6.0 lb.
Barrel Twist 1 in 7", right hand
Short-stroke piston gas system
- Improved reliability and function without H2O fording
- No fouling directed into weapon, less cleaning
- User removable/exchangeable
- Insensitive to barrel length or ammunition changes
Improved buffer system
Improved steel magazine (30 and 20-round capacities)
- Improved feeding reliability, durability, service life
Refined barrel/bolt locking recesses/lugs
- Improved function
Improved extractor and spring, buffer
- Improved function
Enhanced AG416 add-on 40mm grenade launcher
HK cold-hammer forged barrel
- Extended service life, improved accuracy and user safety
HK free-floating rail system (same height as upper receiver)
Safety Blank Firing Adapter and Live Round Excluder Magazine
Beveled and flared magazine well
Additional ongoing work
Improved surface finish, ambidextrous controls
Integrated reflex sight with nested IR laser aimer and illuminator
Match 2-stage trigger mechanism
16.5" and 20" variants
Problems with this page? Contact the ArmyProperty Team
Copyright © 2005-2013 ArmyProperty.com / Inventory
Management Solutions, LLC.
A Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned (SDVO) Business
101 North Main Street, Suite 130; Ann Arbor, MI 48104
2011 Crystal Drive, Suite 400; Arlington, VA 22202
DUNS Number: 829504880 / CAGE Code: 5BMR7
New in the Forums
- NSN Search ? Nike Air Range WP Golf Shoes - Balancing Quality With Style
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? The Beautiful Shoes Called Nike
- New NSN's ? Picking Convenient Products For Nike Air Max
- BII / COEI Listings ? Original Nike Footwear Along with Their Features
- BII / COEI Listings ? [ Online Jobs ] Job 30 minutes Salary from $ 900 .
- General Interest / Frequently Asked Questions ? yo ina
NSN's That Work
- NSN's for OCP items (IOTV's, uniforms, MOLLE) will apparently remain as-is, whil...
- Word to the wise... the "correct" 200-series lock to use in your armsroom. They...
- Do your IFAK's have combat eye shields? If not, you can order them with two dif...
- Gatorade NSN's are here...
- This just in -- as of MAR 2013, the JETT harness has been assigned an NSN and sh...
- FYI: NSN for MOLLE 2-Mag M-16 pouch in ACU / UCP Pattern
- FYI on cancelled / rejected requisitions and orders.
- Yup, there's an NSN for an Apple iPod Touch.... in case you don't get one for Ch...
- U.S. Army Improved First Aid Kit (IFAK), NSN 6545-01-584-1582, MultiCam (OCP)
- Gerber Cable Dawg Multi-Tool - ACU Pattern Sheath, NSN 5110-01-598-2253 (30-000361)
- Magazine, Cartridge, 5.56mm, 30-round, NSN 1005-00-921-5004, for M-16 / M-4 Series Rifle
- Magazine, Cartridge, 9mm, 15-round, for Beretta M9 (92-Series), NSN 1005-01-204-4376